Smoke Detector Facts
- Studies show that more than 60% of deadly U.S. fires occur in homes that do not have working smoke detectors.
- On average, house fire kill 540 children ages 14 and under each year.
- Almost three out of five home fire deaths were caused by fires in properties with no smoke alarms.
- Only 23% of U.S Families have developed and practiced a home fire escape plan.
- The risk of dying in a home structure fire is 55% lower in homes with working smoke detectors than homes with no detectors or none that were working at that time.
* Facts were referenced from National Fire Protection Agency, Federal Emergency Management Agency, and Missouri Department of Fire Safety.
Smoke Detector Tips
The following tips will help ensure your smoke detectors remain in proper working order:
- Test units monthly.
- Install new batteries immediately when the low-battery alarm sounds or at least every six months.
- Clean smoke detectors regularly by vacuuming them with a brush attachment.
- Replace smoke alarms every 10 years to achieve optimum performance.
Request Free Smoke Detector
The Central Platte Fire Protection District is proud to offer a free smoke alarm program for those who needs assistance with battery changes, or installation of new smoke detectors. This service is only offered for district residences. If applicable smoke detectors for the deaf and hard of hearing are also available.
Please fill out of the form below and a representative from Central Platte Fire Protection District will be in contact with you.